Did your tech kiddie receive new gadgets during the holiday season? If your kid has been enjoying that new phone or new tablet, make sure to read through tips given by Sylvan Learning on having balance for kids using technology.
Here are seven tips you can use as basis:
1. Your rules rule. Have clear guidelines for kids to follow.
2. Set time limits. A good rule of thumb for teens is two hours of screen time per day, including schoolwork.
3. Set place limits. Ban electronic screens at dinnertime, for example.
4. Schoolwork comes first. Study and chores come before socializing and games.
5. Stress privacy. Explain to your children why you won't permit them to give out personal information about themselves or their family, to meet with strangers they've "met" online, or to spend money online. Just be realistic and firm.
6. Stress common sense. It is good sense not to allow downloading or uploading -- music, movies, or photos for instance -- without your permission.
7. Be a role model. You're a role model in everything you do and say as a parent, including using technology.